What We Do
Energy conservation, sustainability, maintainability, and life cycle costs are key factors when determining the right system for each client’s unique needs.
Farris Engineering’s diverse expertise in HVAC helps clients select the best systems that provide occupants with comfortable and energy efficient facilities.
Our Mechanical Services Include
- Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning
- Boilers, Chillers, Circulating Pumps, and Cooling Towers
- Building Automation Control Systems
- Geothermal and Air Source Heat Pumps
- Heat Recovery and Ventilation Systems
- Central Utility Plants
- Steam, Hot Water, and Chilled Water Distribution Systems
- Energy Modeling and Life Cycle Cost Analysis
- Building and Campus Utility System Studies
- Indoor Air Quality and Acoustical Evaluations
When it comes to electrical engineering, you name it, we’ve probably done it. Innovative and creative are words that best describe our design philosophy.
From medium to low voltage design, our electrical engineers and designers work closely with clients to identify their specific requirements, and implement cost-effective solutions for high performance and reliable operations. Our engineers are experienced across many facility types, including healthcare, education, religious, medium voltage distribution, physical plant, substations, and many more.
Our Electrical Services Include
- Facility and Energy Assessments
- Arc Flash Studies, Short Circuit Studies, Coordination Studies
- Primary and Secondary Power Distribution
- Power Generation
- Renewable Energy
- Lightning Protection
- Fire Detection Systems
- Nurse Call/Patient Wandering
Plumbing requires a network of specialty piping for systems to run smoothly. Our expertise spans the full spectrum of plumbing solutions: large and small, complex and routine, public and private.
Our Plumbing Services Include
- Domestic, Sanitary, and Storm Water Plumbing Systems
- Compressed Air, Medical, and Process Gas Systems
- Meet ADA Requirements
- Natural Gas Piping
Lighting design is one of our specialties. And the more unique the lighting system, the better.
Light not only creates a functional environment, but it is also an innovative way to enhance the architectural experience. Our integrated lighting solutions reveal architecture, create emotion, accentuate materials, conserve energy, encourage productivity, and facilitate long-term maintenance. Advances in technology, renewed interest in sustainability, and stringent energy codes have made lighting designers critical team members for every project.
Our Lighting Services Include
- Develop Lighting Concepts
- Lighting Renderings
- Lighting Calculations
- Lighting Controls
- Stamped Construction Drawings
- In-Field Aiming
Farris provides technology infrastructures that are highly flexible and capable of future growth.
Constantly changing and evolving technology doesn’t have to be difficult. Our engineers stay abreast of current trends and provide cost-effective designs to meet your requirements today with an eye on the future. Knowing your goals, we’ll work with you to determine the best approach needed and help you stay within your budget.
Our technology staff includes Registered Communications Distribution Designers (RCDD) and electrical engineers with low voltage expertise.
Our Technology Services Include
- Data Center Design
- Telecommunications Infrastructure
- Audio/Visual System Design
- Security System Design
FIRE PROTECTION/LIFE SAFETY
When it comes to saving lives, Farris is passionate and innovative. We make fire protection and life safety a focal point in all designs.
When applied early in design, life saving features such as fire sprinklers, detection, fire alarms and mass notification, smoke exhaust, high expansion foam, and clean agent chemical extinguishing systems can allow for cost savings in other areas of construction. We stay current with all aspects of the fire and life safety community and work in harmony with the code authorities, installation contractors, and vendors to provide the best final products for our clients.
Our Fire Protection and Life Safety Services Include
- Fire and Life Safety Studies
- Systems for New and Renovated Facilities
Building Systems Commissioning (BSC) brings continuity, communication, and overall responsibility for coordination and control. The BSC process is an intentional enhancement that brings a building successfully on line from its earliest phases, i.e., programming and/or schematic design.
Our commissioning professionals preview the installed and operational systems and components versus the design intent and expected standards. Discrepancies are identified and documented for remedial attention by the contractor and various sub-contractors. Farris’ commissioning team stays engaged throughout the remediation process.
A BSC Process Generally Includes
- Developing a commissioning plan
- Preparing and enhancing commissioning specifications during various design phases
- Confirming interim and final O&M manuals are completed
- Confirming equipment start up
- Confirming and documenting functional performance testing including testing, adjusting and balancing various systems
- Completing BSC report and final Owner acceptance
LEED CONSULTING & SUSTAINABLE DESIGN
Farris professionals seek maximum energy efficiency and environmentally-friendly components in all our designs.
Farris Engineering has always been interested in providing the most efficient designs in energy consumption, pollution reduction, and the elimination and use of waste. We look to the US Green Building Council (USGBC) and its LEED Green Building Rating System to improve the environmental and economic performance of commercial buildings using established or advanced industry principles, practices, materials, and standards.
Green Building Design Begins With
- Proper building orientations
- Avoiding north facing entries
- Placement of windows/skylights to maximize natural light
- Landscaping materials to provide shade and to block the wind
- Inclusion of energy-efficient HVAC, power, and lighting features
- Detailing the building envelope to prevent heat loss and maintain good insulation
We have found that clients are best served by continuity in the project team from design through construction.
The Project Manager who leads production of contract documents continues to be the person in charge during construction administration. He is fully familiar with the project’s design intent, and is the most prepared to deal with individual specifics and questions that arise during construction. Projects run more smoothly, with fewer delays and conflicts in the field.
Our Construction Administration Services Include
- Contractor’s Submittal Review
- Pay Application Review
- Construction Directives Issued for Clarifications and Minor Changes
- Change Order Documentation, if needed
PLANNING & PROGRAMMING
Helping Owners evaluate existing facilities, listening to their needs, and developing plans to meet their vision is what we do best.
Planning services are the foundation of useful design solutions. From comparing total life cycle costs to lowest up-front or energy usage, to determining the right scope for projects, our experienced team brings a wealth of insight and experience. Our 3D models and photometric renderings help clients make better decisions.
Our Planning and Programming Services Include
- Life Cycle Costing and Energy Modeling
- Programming Documents
- Design-Build Bridging Documents
- Lighting Modeling
- Computer Lighting Simulation
As a Total Small Business contractor, we understand the procedures, processes, and preferences to deliver successful projects for federal agencies. Whether serving as a prime firm or as a subcontractor, our staff has the credentials and expertise that is expected from federal project managers as well as procurement specialists.
Our Federal Capabilities Include
- Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing Engineering
- Fire Protection/Life Safety Engineer (FPE)
- Certified Commissioning Authorities (CxA)
- Certified Geothermal Designers (CGD)
- Sustainability and Energy Conservation
- LEED Accredited Professionals
- Healthcare Facility Design Professional (HFDP)
- Registered Communication Distribution Designer (RCDD)
- Lighting Certified Designers